There are affiliate links in here. I get a small commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you
I love Halloween and I am ready for it! But I’m always ready for it. I figured this would be the perfect time to share a Halloween reading challenge!
This is a challenge with a few horror prompts and I know that’s not for everyone so I included alternative options at the end in case the horror isn’t for you.
This is all Halloween themed but can be as scary or spooky as you like (on my horror scale scary is horror and spooky is more light and fun).
As usual, I’ve included suggestions for each prompt to help get stared but you can always choose things already on your TBR. Combo backlist and Halloween reading challenge anyone?
I also tried to choose spooky, creepy, and scary books but not all of them are. While this is ideal for an October reading challenge, it’s perfect for us folks who like to stretch spooky season throughout the year.
I chose 13 prompts for this (obviously I had to) plus the alternatives. If you’re really feeling ambitious, or doing this for the whole year, you could do all 17 of them.
I would love to know if you decide to do this spooky reading challenge and would love to hear what you decide to read for it, too.
- If you want to listen to some of these, consider trying Audible! You can get your first month free (one free book) plus tons of others they have for free. Get that Audible deal here.
- If you’re on more of a budget, try Scribd! You can get your first month free there. You can read books and listen to audiobooks. It is unlimited (especially the reading) but if you listen to tons of new audiobooks you may be restricted after a few. I don’t listen to enough to confirm this, but I do use Scribd myself and like it a lot. Sign up for Scribd here!
- Shop my collection of bookish goodies on Etsy! These aren’t my shop items, but other shops I’ve curated into a book-themed collection. Shop my Etsy bookish goodies here!
- If you want to read more on your Kindle but don’t want to buy books, Kindle Unlimited is a wonderful option. It’s $9.99 a month but if you read a lot and like to read more than just new releases, it could be worth it. Get Kindle Unlimited here!
- Get $5 off of $25 from BookOutlet! This is a great place to find new books for pretty cheap. They also have sales quite a bit, so keep an eye out for those. I tend to check here for books I want if they’re more expensive other places. They don’t have everything but they do have a lot. Shop BookOutlet here!
- Thrift Books has become my go-to when I’m looking for a book and want it cheap. It’s great if you like buying used books. With this you can get a free book after spending $30!
- Shop my book lists here! You can find every book list I have on Bookshop.org (except my monthly round-ups) and I add everything I can but they occasionally won’t have some. I do occasionally add extras though. If any lists are empty, they’ll be filled in shortly! Shop my bookshop.org book lists here.
Skull on the cover
Haunted house book
Black cat on the cover
- The Last House on Needless Street
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle
- The Master and Margarita
- BlueBuried Muffins
Book that takes place on (or around) Halloween
Japanese horror book
Ocean horror book
Gothic horror book
A vampire book
Horror alternative prompts:
Spooky middle grade
Pumpkin on the cover
Are you going to join this Halloween reading challenge? Which books are you picking?