There are affiliate links in here. I get a small commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you
Cover photo credit: public domain photo taken by Shawn Thomas & provided by the American National Park Service
I love Nevada Barr books. The Anna Pigeon series is so fun, especially for national park lovers, which I am. I started this post series to help not only myself keep track of book series in order, but everyone else out there that has to look it up every time they see one of the books at a used book store or little free library.
Next up are the Anna Pigeon books in order! I can’t remember if I read Ill Wind or The Rope first but I know I read both the same summer.
Ill Wind a guest left behind when they checked out so I obviously took it. I took all the books left behind, it’s actually why I read The Hunger Games and my dystopian obsession developed.
The Rope was one of the books set in the southwest that we had for sale at the gift shop and I know I read that one because it is set at Dangling Rope (RIP) on Lake Powell, where I was working!
Whichever I read first, I loved it and had to read the other. Now, whenever we go to national parks, the first thing I look for in the visitor center is the books to see if there are any of the Nevada Barr books.
They usually have one or two set in the region but every now and then they’ll have almost all of them. I think Carlsbad Caverns actually has all of them and Saguaro has at least half.
Sometimes I read them right away and other times I end up saving them for later. But now, writing this, I want to catch up on them! Until then, this will have to do. So here they are, the Anna Pigeon books in order.
- If you want to listen to some of these, consider trying Audible! You can get your first month free (one free book) plus tons of others they have for free. Get that Audible deal here.
- If you’re on more of a budget, try Scribd! You can get your first month free there. You can read books and listen to audiobooks. It is unlimited (especially the reading) but if you listen to tons of new audiobooks you may be restricted after a few. I don’t listen to enough to confirm this, but I do use Scribd myself and like it a lot. Sign up for Scribd here!
- Shop my collection of bookish goodies on Etsy! These aren’t my shop items, but other shops I’ve curated into a book-themed collection. Shop my Etsy bookish goodies here!
- If you want to read more on your Kindle but don’t want to buy books, Kindle Unlimited is a wonderful option. It’s $9.99 a month but if you read a lot and like to read more than just new releases, it could be worth it. Get Kindle Unlimited here!
- Get $5 off of $25 from BookOutlet! This is a great place to find new books for pretty cheap. They also have sales quite a bit, so keep an eye out for those. I tend to check here for books I want if they’re more expensive other places. They don’t have everything but they do have a lot. Shop BookOutlet here!
- Thrift Books has become my go-to when I’m looking for a book and want it cheap. It’s great if you like buying used books. With this you can get a free book after spending $30!
- Shop my book lists here! You can find every book list I have on Bookshop.org (except my monthly round-ups) and I add everything I can but they occasionally won’t have some. I do occasionally add extras though. If any lists are empty, they’ll be filled in shortly! Shop my bookshop.org book lists here.
How many Anna Pigeon books are there?
There are 19 books in the Nevada Barr Anna Pigeon series. 19! I’ve read six of them but probably have five or six I also haven’t read.
Do I need to read the Nevada Barr books in order?
Nope! I read them as I find them in parks which I think is more fun. Of course, you can read them in order, there are some storylines that stretch throughout the series but they can be read as standalone no problem.
Do I have to read The Rope first?
The Rope wasn’t published first but chronologically it is first. I don’t think you need to read it first unless you want to. Only necessary if you want to read them all in order.
Anna Pigeon books in order (publishing order)
- Track of the Cat – Guadalupe Mountains National Park – Anna Pigeon #1
- A Superior Death – Isle Royale National Park – Anna Pigeon #2
- Ill Wind – Mesa Verde National Park – Anna Pigeon #3
- Firestorm – California – Anna Pigeon #4
- Endangered Species – Cumberland Island National Seashore – Anna Pigeon #5
- Blind Descent – Carlsbad Caverns National Park – Anna Pigeon #6
- Liberty Falling – New York City – Anna Pigeon #7
- Deep South – Natchez Trace – Anna Pigeon #8
- Blood Lure – Glacier National Park – Anna Pigeon #9
- Hunting Season – Mississippi – Anna Pigeon #10
- Flashback – Dry Tortugas National Park – Anna Pigeon #11
- High Country – Yosemite National Park – Anna Pigeon #12
- Hard Truth – Rocky Mountain National Park – Anna Pigeon #13
- Winter Study – Isle Royale National Park – Anna Pigeon #14
- Borderline – Big Bend National Park – Anna Pigeon #15
- Burn – New Orleans – Anna Pigeon #16
- The Rope – Glen Canyon National Recreation Area – Anna Pigeon #17 (technically #1)
- Destroyer Angel – Minnesota – Anna Pigeon #18
- Boar Island – Acadia National Park – Anna Pigeon #19
If you enjoy the Nevada Barr books, you’ll probably like some of these other national park novels as well (always taking recommendations for more national park books). I have pretty much anything I haven’t already read on this list or that one on my TBR.
I don’t even know if I can pick a favorite but I feel like I want to go with Blind Descent. I love caves and cave stories, especially creepy cave stories or about caving accidents (also taking recommendations on those.)
There you have it, the Nevada Barr Anna Pigeon book series in order and anything else you may or may not have wanted to know about them. If you read any of them, let me know which and what you think of it!
Have you read any Nevada Barr Books? What do you think of them? Which is your favorite? Do you read the Anna Pigeon books in order? Do you want to read them?