There are affiliate links in here. I get a small commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you
I didn’t really get into YA, especially fantasy, until probably 2018. I was working front desk at a hotel and someone left The Hunger Games. I found it on the housekeeping cart and decided I should give this a shot.
Well, I loved it. I got the next two books ASAP and tried to find the movies in Salt Lake. Then I decided to give Divergent a shot and it spiraled from there.
I’m now a big fan of YA, fantasy, sci-fi and more I never thought I would like. While I’ve been a fan for a couple of years now, there is still a lot popular books I haven’t read and I’m going to share those today.
- If you want to listen to some of these, consider trying Audible! You can get your first month free (one free book) plus tons of others they have for free. Get that Audible deal here.
- If you’re on more of a budget, try Scribd! You can get your first month free there. You can read books and listen to audiobooks. It is unlimited (especially the reading) but if you listen to tons of new audiobooks you may be restricted after a few. I don’t listen to enough to confirm this, but I do use Scribd myself and like it a lot. Sign up for Scribd here!
- Shop my collection of bookish goodies on Etsy! These aren’t my shop items, but other shops I’ve curated into a book-themed collection. Shop my Etsy bookish goodies here!
- If you want to read more on your Kindle but don’t want to buy books, Kindle Unlimited is a wonderful option. It’s $9.99 a month but if you read a lot and like to read more than just new releases, it could be worth it. Get Kindle Unlimited here!
- Get $5 off of $25 from BookOutlet! This is a great place to find new books for pretty cheap. They also have sales quite a bit, so keep an eye out for those. I tend to check here for books I want if they’re more expensive other places. They don’t have everything but they do have a lot. Shop BookOutlet here!
- Thrift Books has become my go-to when I’m looking for a book and want it cheap. It’s great if you like buying used books. With this you can get a free book after spending $30!
- Shop my book lists here! You can find every book list I have on Bookshop.org (except my monthly round-ups) and I add everything I can but they occasionally won’t have some. I do occasionally add extras though. If any lists are empty, they’ll be filled in shortly! Shop my bookshop.org book lists here.
- Shopping internationally? Check out Book Depository!
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Is it already on my TBR? Yes! My real, physical TBR.
About the book: Ketterdam is a bustling hub of international trade where you can find anything for the right price and no one knows that better than Kaz Brekker. He is offered the chance at a deadly heist that could leave him very rich, but he can’t do it alone. Kaz and his crew could be the only thing standing between the world and destruction.
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Is it already on my TBR? Yup! This is on my physical TBR, too.
About the book: The circus isn’t there, until one night, it is. Inside the tent every night performing are Celia and Marco are two young magicians that have been trained since childhood in anticipation of a remarkable battle of imagination and will where only one will be left standing. Until they fall in love, that is. True love or not, fate must be played out for all performers involved.
Update: I actually DNF’d this one in 2021!
Author: Sarah J Maas
Is it already on my TBR? Kind of. I read ACOTAR last year but I’m not in a huge rush to keep reading. It’s just on my Goodreads TBR for now.
About the book: Ok, so these are the second and third books in the ACOTAR (A Court of Thorns and Roses) series, but I obviously haven’t read them yet. I don’t want to have spoilers for the series here, so I’ll have the description of the first book.
Feyre’s survival depends on her ability to hunt and kill, but when she kills a wolf to get to a deer, it comes at a price. The wolf was actually a faerie and she is now being fragged to a magical kingdom to pay the price. Her captor’s face is obscured by a jeweled mask and he’s hiding far more than his piercing green eyes suggest. Soon, she falls in love and has to fight to break an ancient curse or lose him forever.
Update: I read ACOMAF and it. Dragged. I probably won’t even finish the series. Maybe eventually but not soon.
Author: Sarah J Maas
Is it already on my TBR? Yeah. It’s lower on the list, but I did snag it on a Kindle deal.
About the book: Celaena is an 18-year-old assassin who just finished her punishment of a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier when she is dragged in front of the crown prince. He offers her a chance at freedom, but to win it, she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. All of her opponents are cruel men sponsored by a member of the king’s council. If she wins, she’ll serve the kingdom for four years then be granted her freedom. Soon, the contestants start showing up dead and she sets out to figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim.
Author: Holly Black
Is it already on my TBR? Yeah, but just my Goodreads TBR, I don’t actually have it yet.
About the book: Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her sisters were sent to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. She wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality, but many of the fey despise humans, including Prince Cardan, the youngest and most wicked son of the High King.She becomes deeply involved in the palace intrigues and discovers her own capacity of trickery and bloodshed. But she needs to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to protect her sister and betrayal and bloodshed threaten to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence.
Author: Stephanie Garber
Is it already on my TBR? Yup! I snagged this on a Kindle deal, too.
About the book: Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she lives with her sister Tella and the powerful and cruel father. He’s arranged her marriage and now she thinks her chances of seeing Caraval, the once-a-year performance with audience participation, are over. But with the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks her away to the show. As soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s organizer. It turns out this year’s show revolves around Tella and whoever finds her first is the winner.
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Is it already on my TBR? Yes but no. I want to read this, but it’s not officially on any list of mine.
About the book: Alina Starkov has never been good at anything but a dormant power is revealed when her regiment is attacked and her best friend is brutally injured and she saves his life. This new power could be the secret to setting her war-ravaged country free. She is pulled away from everything she knows and taken to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha. Nothing in the lavish world is what it seems and the entire kingdom depends on her power.
Author: Sabaa Tahir
Is it already on my TBR? Yup! I got this in a mystery book box last year.
About the book: Defiance means death under the Martial Empire. If you don’t vow your body and blood to the emperor, then your family was at risk. Laia risks her life to spy for the rebels within the empires greatest military academy. Soon she meets Eelias, the finest, and most unwilling, soldier in the academy. Their destinies are intertwined and will change the fate of the empire.
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Is it already on my TBR? Yes! I’m a sucker for a good dystopian, so I got the whole series for a good deal on Mercari last year (all four book, plus the first two in collectors editions, so six books total, for like $35!)
About the book: In this world, you either have red blood as a commoner or silver as an elite with god-like superpowers. Mare is a red blood commoner living in the poverty-stricken Stilts where it feels like nothing will ever change until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. She is surrounded by the people she hates the most but discovers a power of her own, one that threatens the balance of power. The elites are afraid of her potential and hide her in plain sight: engaged to a silver prince, disguised as a long-lost Silver princess. She works silently to help the Red Guard to bring down the Silver regime.
Have you read any of these? Which ones? Which should I read first?